Wednesday 19 October 2016

Getting More Ready - groomer improvements

I've been making some modifications to the snow groomer, which will hopefully make it easier for me to switch from track-setting mode to non-track-setting. I built a new, smaller and much lighter track-setter that attaches in a way that permits it to be folded up and over the roller when I don't want to set track - for instance on hills where we just want a smooth packed surface. My hope is that, with a surface area about one-third the size of the old track-setter, I will only need one-third as much weight to press the track moulds down into the snow to create a nice deep ski track. Time will tell.
The groomer with both the track-setter and snow-comb flap folded up for travel or backing up. The snow-comb flap can be dropped while the track-setter is still folded up, to create a flat, corduroy surface

Here is the groomer with the track-setter and snow-comb flap both in the down position

Close-up of the track setter bottom. The track moulds are made of sugar maple that came out of my firewood pile. Angle-iron cutters in front of the moulds help to cut into firm snow and protect the nose of the wooden moulds from obstacles like rocks and tree roots
 

No comments:

Post a Comment