Wednesday 14 February 2024

Preparing for New Snow

 All the forecasts now seem to be predicting a snowfall tomorrow afternoon/evening. So, in a giant leap of faith, I have been getting ready to groom the snow for skiing. Today, I did a walking inspection of the trails, clearing fallen trees and checking the current condition of the trail surfaces. Tomorrow's snow (if it comes) will be landing on one of 3 different surfaces: about 10% is currently bare ground; about 60% is crusty snow; and about 30% is glare ice. The most concerning is the last one, since the new snow will not adhere to the ice surface, and I may not even be able to drive the groomer up hills that are icy.

I have also been preparing a new/old piece of grooming equipment. The Mono Nordic Ski Club has loaned me an old Tidd Tech Trail Tenderizer (yes, it's really a thing; Google it!) which they do not use anymore. I've been doing some repairs on it, and will give it a try once we have enough snow.

Here's hoping we'll have some skiable conditions by Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment