Monday 10 February 2020

February 10 - from the sublime to the ridiculous

I'm going to change my assessment of today's conditions. It is possible to ski today, so this is Day 50 of skiing this season.
Yesterday's conditions were near perfect, but not today.
We received about 8 cm of new snow overnight, and normally that would be good news. However, this snow is a pretty sticky packing snow, and very difficult to ski on. I went out to ski this morning, and gave up after 10 minutes. The snow was just sticking to the bottom of my skis in giant clumps.
It would be excellent for making a snowman, but it's terrible stuff to ski on.
Nevertheless,  I went out to shovel off the front porch and noticed that the snow was more powdery than I initially thought. So, I took out the groomer and gave it a try, and the result was not bad. I did not groom everything, but did do all the major trails, with roller and snow comb.
The result is there is a relatively flat packed surface, which at the moment is rather moist. When cooler temperatures return tonight, it will probably get a little bit crunchy. At least it will be flat, and will provide a good base for future snowfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment