Tuesday 12 January 2021

January 12, 2021

 Day 25 of skiing this season.

Conditions on the trails remain about the same again today - fair to good. Snow coverage is adequate, but the trail surfaces are hard packed and a bit icy in spots.

Yesterday, I scarified and reset track on busier trails in the central section, plus some trails in the southern part, including Mainline coming out of the access at the parking lot on 5 Sideroad.

I spent the rest of the day yesterday building a new scarifyer. I will be trying it out today, to see whether it's capable of breaking up the hard crust and giving us some softer snow to work with.

UPDATE: I tried out the new scarifyer, and was fairly happy with the result. After a couple of small modifications, I took it over some of the trails in the north end, including #1, #1a, #17, #12 and #3. I can use it in advance of the track-setter to loosen the snow thus helping the track-setter to penetrate better; or I can use it alone on hills to create loose powdery snow for snow-plowing. We received a tiny bit of snow mixed with freezing drizzle today, but not enough to make a significant difference in conditions.

4 comments:

  1. You are a hard working man. More snow is coming this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see some snow mentioned in the forecast, but it looks like it may be only a few centimetres. We could use at least 10 cm to make skiing really good again.

      Delete
  2. Out of curiosity I checked out the trans Canada trail yesterday from old Hwy 24 ( forks of credit) to near Alton....snow there quite deep and fresh in fields and woods, not degraded...but trail has been sullied by snowmobiles...but still decent off trail skiing if you avoid their tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess with a stay at home order in place now, we will all be staying very close to home. No driving to go skiing. I'm fortunate to be able to ski in my own back yard.

    ReplyDelete