Wednesday 3 February 2021

February 3

 Day 47 of skiing this season.

Conditions on the trails continue to range from fair to good. Snow coverage is good; the only problem is that the trail surfaces have become hard packed and fast. The grooming  I did yesterday had some benefit in softening the surface and creating some loose powder on top.

I will not be grooming today.

We are looking forward to some new snow after a brief warm spell tomorrow.

Here is a little information about grooming equipment. Yesterday, I mentioned a groomer that I call the Piranha. I put it together about 2 weeks ago, when we had very little snow and lots of ice. The goal was to build something that could dig into the hard icy surface and scratch up some soft, fine-grained powder on top. It started with a frame, made with an old pair of skis that I found in somebody's garbage. Mounted within this frame is a hinged, weighted flap covered with galvanized steel, through which the tips of 105 concrete nails protrude.(This is the origin of the nickname Piranha) These nails stick out about 2 cm, are very sharp, and very rigid (i.e. they don't bend). Thus far, I've been pleased with the results when I use it. A small track-setter can also be attached behind it.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than doing nothing.

The underside of the hinged, weighted flap

Overall view of the Piranha


2 comments: