Wednesday 8 February 2017

Wednesday Feb 8 - Good news/bad news again.

I've been out for a short inspection tour, and it looks like yesterday's rain, freezing rain and warm temperatures have not done as much damage as I feared. There are no trees down that I know of, and only a few small branches on the trail. We did not lose all our snow; in fact, we probably have better coverage now than before the storm, except it is now ice rather than powder snow. There is a thin ice crust on top of the snow, which breaks quite easily. Underneath, in many places, there is still loose granular snow.
I will try my crust-buster this afternoon, to see if it makes any improvement. However, I am not going to expend major time and fuel on grooming, when we have another meltdown forecast for this weekend. What we need is a good snowfall of about 10 cm, accompanied by stable, below-freezing temperatures.
I would not recommend skiing at the moment. It would be very fast, and very dangerous. Perhaps come for a walk, and wear icers on your boots (remember to keep to the edges).
Hockleycrest trail about noon today

No comments:

Post a Comment