Tuesday 29 December 2020

December 29 - cooler

 Day 13 of skiing this season

We survived yesterday's rain and mild temperature, and managed to retain snow cover on most trails. Places that had good snow cover before yesterday will still have reasonable cover. Places that were thin, under conifers for example, will be very thin today with some possible bare spots.

24 hours ago, there was a lot of water and slush under the snow. As far as I can see, this has now frozen, and we received about 2 cm of new snow to cover the old. I have not been out over the whole network to check it, but I suspect there may still be some wet spots. Trails will be icy and fast today; not a good day for beginners.

I will do some grooming later this morning and will file an update after that.

UPDATE: I've done a partial groom this morning, trying to improve conditions on the trails that were in the worst shape. Generally, these are the ones that saw a lot of hiker traffic over the past 2 days. Sunday's footprints in the snow have become today's lumpy, bumpy ice. The 2 or 3 cm of fresh powder on top is not a lot to work with in trying to eliminate this annoying situation. Nevertheless, I think I've made some improvement.

If you can stick mainly to trails that are used only by skiers, then conditions are not too bad.

1 comment:

  1. Let's hope for more snow.

    Soon I will post your trails on my site. Many more avid ski/snowshoers will enjoy your handywork.

    Dan - ontarioskitrails.com

    ReplyDelete