Sunday 12 January 2020

January 12 - good news, bad news

The good news is that the freezing rain has ended, it is now snowing lightly, and there is a small amount of new snow on top of the ice: about 2 to 3 cm. It probably would be possible to ski on this.
BUT, here's the bad news: there are numerous tree branches and limbs down on the trails, and many more hanging down low into the trails. I haven't been around the whole network yet, to see how bad things are, but I expect it will take me a couple of days to have everything cleared. In addition, there are a few spots that are flooded from all the rain we got before the temperature dropped. Once again, I haven't been able to do a complete assessment, but I'm pretty sure that the SW corner of trail #5, between # 6 and #3, will be wet.
Current temperature is -8, and the forecast for the week ahead looks pretty good, so after we clear away this mess, we might actually have some decent skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment